Tyler - Lampeter, Pennsylvania

I believe that it is never about the destination it is about the journey. As a society we are fixed on our goals, we strive to accomplish our life’s dreams. It’s easy to become too focused on where we are going and what we want to accomplish. We must step back and learn all we can from our present circumstances. I journeyed for four years through an education system, thinking that my purpose was to end up with a neatly rolled piece of paper with a ribbon around it. It was easy to get caught up in thoughts of graduation and my life following high school, wanting so much to get out instead of enjoying the uniqueness of the phase that I was in. Looking back, I don’t remember the topic of that paper I wrote at 1 in the morning, or what I got on my Algebra final, or how I did on that chemistry lab. I do remember the relationships I formed with my closest of friends, the football games that we cheered for wildly in the stands while trying to avoid frostbite, the times spent playing obnoxious games when we should have been studying, and also the nights spent talking about life’s hardships instead of horsing around. I remember conflicts with others, maybe not all the little details, but I learned how to deal with certain personalities, how to give a little and take a little. A nicely framed diploma means nothing in itself, rather it is a testimony to hard work and dedication, and more importantly the memories and the knowledge that was gained while not in the classroom.

I graduated high school, and started a new journey. A journey to educate myself further in the field of my choosing, and to start a profession that I love. If my narrow mind focuses solely on the destination, I will lead a dull and unfulfilling life. Maybe in life it’s better to take the scenic route occasionally: not so much focused on the place we’re going, and how long it takes to get there, but instead the beauty of our current surroundings. We must soak in our surroundings, no matter if they are extremely bad or extremely pleasant: we will come to appreciate these moments at a later date in our lives. We’ll be able look back and see the progression of wisdom in our lives. Wisdom is not something that is magically inherited when you become a grandparent, or turn a certain old age. It is something that is gained through life experiences, the adapting to the difficult times while enjoying the good ones. It is something that we obtain not when we reach our destination, but when we are on the journey.