Hope - willow grove, Pennsylvania
Themes: humanism

We are Beautiful

I believe that all human beings are beautiful the way they were born. Despite the different races, handicaps, cultures, characteristics, and beliefs among the people of the world, everyone is equally beautiful. The human race is diverse and fascinating; there are many different sorts of people all over the world. Each person is unique, even identical twins have their own individual character traits. No one person is better than the other; all of us are members of the same club called “the human race.” Although everyone is wonderful in their own way, the media tries to tell people that model-thin women and muscular men are what ideal men and women look like.

The media is obsessed with the unrealistic paradigm of appearance; which explains their misconception of beauty. They tell us that beauty is skin-deep. These ideas of perfect people are over glorified, when in fact these over-rated figures are mere human beings like the rest of us. This idea that a certain look is more beautiful than the rest of humanity’s appearance is a misleading notion.

Beauty is not found in a person’s appearance. A person’s true beauty is found in the depths of their heart. As a young child, my brother started showing signs of autism. He separated himself from the other kids, and hopped around off in his own little world. Even up to today, at the age of seventeen, my brother David has never uttered a single phrase. He only gives hugs and kisses when forced. Although he cannot communicate to my family the frustration and pain he deals with on a daily basis, his joy is shown through his sweet and innocent smile. His little games he plays of hide and seek show us that there is a little boy full of life and happiness inside of him. He is the essence of beauty.

We must use our hearts to look at a person, not at their appearance but at their soul. I believe that if we listen and look at each person’s story, we will see their true identity; who they are and where they came from. We would then see the beauty that lies in each individual’s distinctive story. I believe that all of humanity was born with true beauty.