Katie - Hollywood, Florida
Themes: love

I’m Not Perfect

My life is not perfect, nor am I perfect. I do not have the perfect family or the perfect friends. I make mistakes just like any normal person. The most important lesson I have learned in life is to love. What many people do not know about me is that I had a rough childhood. I can remember many nights crying myself to sleep and thinking about how much I hated my father and how much resentment I had towards my mother for divorcing him. As time went on, my family began to seek counseling and I began to learn of a new concept…accept. I learned to love and accept things and people for what they are and who they are. That worked well for everything and everybody but myself. For a long time after my parents divorce and my problems with my father I was very depressed and did many things I now regret. I forgot how to love myself. How could I possibly love others if I could not even love myself? Just when I finally thought I got it right, I met a boy. Things went so well actually almost perfect. The love I could not find in myself I found in someone else. Then, surprise surprise, we broke up. I was completely devastated. My first love broke my heart. Once again, I forgot how to love myself. Finally came Encounter. That was definitely my life wake-up call. I learned many life changing lessons that week but the one that I cherish most that has changed my life is love. I actually learned that lesson my first night on the retreat. Thank you Ms. Lamont for giving me that courage to love once again. No matter what happened to me in my life emotionally or physically, I still love. A quote that has inspired me is “Hate is easy, love takes courage.” because finding the courage to love really is hard, ask me I went down every wrong path and took every wrong turn to get where I am today. Love is seeing all the wrongs and faults in someone and still choosing to love. There have been many people in my life that have hurt me and caused me to want to hate them but I look back on all of that as a learning experience. I have learned to forgive and love just as God calls us to. Even though I’m not perfect, there is one thing I do almost perfectly and that is to

love with passion.