Mitchell - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: pleasure

Life is Too Short

“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it” (W. M. Lewis). Life is too short to spend it doing things that you do not want to do.

Throughout life people spend time doing jobs, activities, or even hobbies that they receive no enjoyment from. They believe that these are only temporary solutions to their problems, but end up to be long term with only a hope that they will end up where they want to be. Life is too short to waste time, when you may not have enough time to achieve your goals or dreams.

When my father was in college he was studying under the major of an electrical engineer. During his fourth year of college, upon receiving his degree, he decided to change his major. He had to start over and stay in college for another four years. This decision that affected the rest of his life was worth it to him because he believed that it was more important to do something that he loved, instead of doing something that he displeased him. He found it more meaningful and desirable to wake up every morning and look forward to work; he realized that life is too short.

During my life I have always been told that I need to do well in school to succeed. I have not truly bought into that belief until just recently. I have always taken the most honors classes that I could because my parents wanted me to, but I just recently started doing it for myself. I realized that life is too short and that I don’t want to waste the beginning of mine by not fulfilling myself. I want to get a jumpstart on life so that once I am out of school I can begin doing what I want to do, and living the life that I want to live. I understand that life is too short.

Life is about achieving your dreams and doing what you want to do. Life is too short to live with regrets or that feeling of “what if I did this”. I believe that life is to short and precious to waste by doing things that you are not passionate for, or do not enjoy doing. “Enjoy life. There’s plenty of time to be dead” (Anon).