Zachary - Auburn, Washington
Themes: carpe diem

The stages of our lives, the processes of our lives, or the decisions of our lives, are that which are symbolized through a simple traffic light, this I believe. There are three stages of lights; the green light of knowledge is the expertise, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education. The yellow light of hesitation is the delay due to uncertainty of mind or fear. The red light of suspense is a state or condition of mental uncertainty or excitement, as in awaiting a decision or outcome, usually accompanied by a degree of apprehension or anxiety. And as life progresses and continues, we may come upon more than one traffic light. Three lights, each light is significant in their own way. There’s a choice to be made, making the right choice is the hard part.

When driving, green light means GO! In life, the green light represents the process of life that moves smoothly, without having any doubts or problems, and always heading in the right direction. From the time you step on the gas to continuing life without problems is a carefree lifestyle which everyone experiences throughout the course of one’s life. There could be troubles within each separate family, but understanding and being able to comprehend them comes at a later age. Life seems to always be able to continue on.

The yellow light is to proceed with caution. The traffic light of hesitation is the course of our life that dwells on uncertainty. The rebelliousness within everyone begins to reveal itself, testing yourself to your limits. Those who are hesitant are lost, but to move cautiously through this time in our lives, is where maturity begins. The realities of one’s hardships take form just as you begin to see the light change to yellow. Those few seconds you have, the decision to move through or to hesitate must be made. Just remember the yellow light means to proceed with caution.

Finally there is the red light of suspense, where life itself comes to an abrupt halt, and you take a breather to look around at your surroundings. And as the aging continues; uncertainty, of what to do next is a route taken by all who age. When coming across a hard time in life, feeling like you’ve just hit rock bottom. You must be able to take two steps forward and one step back. It’s not that you should forget about these obstacles or experiences, but learn from them. Once you’ve hit the bottom, the only other way is up.

This continuous cycle doesn’t end at the one stop light of middle age, but starts over as retirement or a long-term job is achieved. We all react to each light in a different manner, and as the miles begin to add the more traffic lights we pass, the better person we become. Three lights, each light significant in its own way. Everyone makes a choice, making the other right choices from here on out is the next task.