Kenny - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: gratitude

Live life as if you were to die tomorrow. You never know what life is going to have in store for you. Today may just be your last day, so make it your best day.

I can remember a time in my life where I thought I lost someone very close to me. It was September of 2001. The day of 9/11, my uncle, who lives in New York City, had been in the one of the Twin Towers when they were struck. I can almost remember like it was yesterday. One of my friends had come into class saying that the World Trade Center had been hit by airplanes. I wasn’t sure what he was talking about until the principal came in and told us what exactly had happened. The first thing that came to my mind was my uncle. I knew that he lived there in New York and that he worked close to the World Trade Center. When I got home I had heard to the startling news that my uncle had been in the building that at the time of the crashes, but he had gotten out. I was overwhelmed to hear that he got out safely, but at the same time thought to myself that I almost lost someone very near and dear to me. That really made me see really how precious life is and that you only have one life to live.

About a few weeks ago I read and heard about a very tragic incident occurred at a professional football player’s home. The all-star safety, Sean Taylor, who played for the Washington Redskins was murdered in his bedroom early in the morning. Sean Taylor was only 24 years old when he was killed. With only 4 years experience in the NFL he was in the prime of his life. Through the 24 years of his life, Sean had gone through a lot of trouble with the law and with the NFL for misconduct. Taylor was in the act of turning his life around when he was murdered. He was young and still had many goals for himself. One thing that he was able to experience was the birth of his one year old daughter during which he was beginning to give back to his old community. He hadn’t experience marriage, but was engaged. This is a prime example as in to why life is short and that living life as if you were to die tomorrow will help you get to the next day.

Everyone knows that God only gave you one life. So live it to the fullest. That doesn’t mean that I should just go out one day and climb the side of a tall mountain or jump out of a plane. I feel this because everyday someone loses their live. There are also so many people out there in the world who posses a lot of money and doesn’t know what to do with it. Money isn’t the key to life that’s not what all of this means. It means that I should just enjoy life and be thankful that I am here, alive, and healthy. There’s no other reasoning to enjoy life.