The Value of Life

logan - knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: carpe diem, death

I believe that the value of life is underestimated. The realization of how quickly life can be taken is easily forgotten in the everyday hustle and bustle of living. We all know that life doesn’t go on forever, but do we realize every day of living is a gift?

Because death is so overly down played, I had become numb to the reality of how painful it really is. When turning on the television or listening to music, death is constantly talked about and almost glorified. After so much of this, it almost becomes normal and our sensitivity is lost.

The very true and painful reality of death slapped me across the face on the morning of Monday December 10th. At about 11:30 am I received a call giving me the news that one of my best friends had been killed in a car accident. I stood in complete disbelief. “How could this happen?” I thought. “He was only 18 years old.” I spent the rest of the day coping with the reality of life and death. Trying to understand how someone so full of life, someone so funny and completely adored by everyone, could be here one second and the next second is gone.

This week I have learned what the meaning of life really is and how fast people you love can be gone. It has come to my attention that I have not fully valued life and lived with the mind set that life is a gift and to treasure it while you have it. This tragic loss has taught me to love people more deeply and to value the lives around me. I now want to show my friends how meaningful they are to me and how important they are to my life.