Beejay - Knoxville, Tennessee

Why is life so hard; a question asked by so many people including myself. I don’t know much about that but I do have one suggestion One day after class I received a phone call. My best friend was in the hospital. She had been taken there because she had overdosed on some pills she had taking in an effort to get high. The process they had to put her through so she would be okay was brutal. She had to drink charcoal to cleanse her body of the drugs. Arriving I thought I couldn’t even go see her. But I knew that I had to and I also wanted to at the same time. Seeing her in this position was unbearable. I couldn’t believe that she had done this. She had lied to so many people; including me. The stress, worry, and anger that were all mixed swarmed in me. But still I had pity, or maybe grief is the right word. I went into the hospital room. She started crying as soon as I was inside. I came over and hugged her. That’s all she wanted. To know she was still loved. Now it has been awhile since then. This girl and me are still friends, but suffered through much heartache and lose; yet have a strong friendship. In situations like this most people would give anything to have taken their friend out of that position. Or, if there is a God, ask why he did this. At times I feel the same way. But as I look back it’s different. If you could, would you change a certain moment that a person went through? Where they had hard times and you were there for them. If you did would you have the same relationship with that friend? Love does not form from a perfect life. Love is not made by someone being perfect. Love is made stronger through everything, the good and bad. I wouldn’t trade anything in the world for those moments I had with my friend. The moments that we have with each other are precious and disasters in life make us see that. And they bring us closer. And the question, why do bad things happen, can be partially answered. A quote from the movie the Matrix: “Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery”, said Agent Smith about the matrix. Even though struggles are not very great to go through, without them we are incomplete. Without friends we are lost. I believe in friends. I believe in struggle. I believe in love. I Believe in Disasters.