Dustin - Federal Way, Washington

I believe provide moral values that bring a sense of identity to a community, family, and personal-self. Although one may think otherwise, every family has a tradition that is attached with an emotion. For example, during a recent trip to Seattle, I went to the annual to the annual tree lighting ceremony with my girlfriend’s (McKenna) family. This tradition was not only special for the city of Seattle, but for McKenna’s family as well. The Hudson household has made this ceremony a tradition for the past 15 years, as it is a cultural marker for their faith and their traditions. This example shows that not only does the values of a tradition in a family or community.

Community traditions are a tool that can pilot family traditions. Many family traditions can overlap with community traditions. Throughout the year, annual community events range from fair and festivals to local high school football games. One fair that comes to mind is the Puyallup Fair. As a student in elementary school, I would receive a free admissions ticket that I would use to attend the fair with my family. Through this experience, this tradition has allowed my family to bond and interact without being interfered by the stress of work and/or school.

Universities and colleges are filled with traditions that date back to the school’s opening. For example, each fraternity and sorority that is associated with the Greek system has traditions that have been handed down from past members. Such traditions may include: “Rush,” selected parties, Greek house chants, and “Work Week.” Families can play an important role in deciding if the student should join a Greek organization or even what university to attend.

Culture can be considered the customs, values, beliefs, morals, language, and behaviors passed down from one generation to another. Therefore, culture essentially can be considered a tradition. In turn the culture that one resides with influences their everyday life, including their traditions, such as family or community and shapes their personal perspective of self.

Family, community, and personal traditions shape our lifestyles and our everyday life because they are the main component of our individual culture. As families grow up and face the reality of the real world, we soon realize that time runs short. Our community, family, and personal-self promote a cycle of traditions that has a domino effect. When a community conducts annual events, parents tend to bring their family to help build a positive interaction between each other. As I stated about the tree lighting ceremony, McKenna showed a loving emotion towards her family because the tradition her family has adopted. Although on may think otherwise, everyone has a tradition that often attaches an emotion.