Mike - Newton, Iowa
Themes: humanism

This I believe

“You can’t fix stupid!”

In my many jobs of working with the public I have seen a vast array of people from the rich to the homeless. And it never ceases to amaze me that it doesn’t matter what social class a person is they all get stupid sooner than later.

One incident (of many) I remember specifically was a New Years Eve party I was doing for the “Uptown Theater” in downtown Kansas City. The average age of the patrons of this party were mid thirties to late forties. So you would figure they would have their good time and party then leave. Well not so much. I had at least eight to ten couples I had to keep my eye on because they were trying to have sex (and other sexual acts) wherever they could. I mean come on people there is a time and a place and it’s not here. It is pretty bad when a twenty-one year old has to baby-sit your Asses like you were three.

Another incident was at the same venue for a rap concert. The show was stopped a half dozen times because fans were getting on stage and that was a safety hazard. So the show would stop till everyone got on stage. Once that happened the show would proceed. Then it would start all over again. Finally after six times the building owner had three of us (concert security) get on stage and keep people from trying to come back up on stage. But you can’t fix stupid and they tried one more time. There were three people that jumped up onstage one after another in a row, so I grab the first female by the face and pushed her into the person behind her and so on and pushed them right off the stage. At this point I think all the concertgoers got the point and did not try it again.

And don’t even get me started on after hour “Rave” security. Those “ecstasy” pill popping, touchy, feely, dancing freaks of nature. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t mind the women coming up and rubbing on me but the guys on the other hand, I told them they had one to many legs and they were invading my personal space.

All in all I met a lot of very nice people while I was doing concert security, “Rave” security, and at the many bars I also bounced at. But it never fails you always remember the stupid people!

But am I the stupid one for continuing to work around these situations?