Joseph - Sunrise, Florida

I believe that you should not take a breath of your life for granted. This is because at the age of 5 I was alive, but barely. I was enjoying a pleasant nap in my parents room when all of sudden my dad woke me up concerned. He heard me breathing heavily, and was worried. He rushed me over to the hospital. Little did I know, I was going to have to stay there for a week. As we waited in the waiting room, I did not know what was to come. After being in the emergency room, my stomach started turning and my palms became drenched in sweat.

The doctor moved me from the emergency room into intensive care. The nurses started to attach numerous leads to my chest and started an I. V. to the top of my hand. The doctor had to put a mask over my mouth in order to get oxygen into my lungs. During the night I was left all alone. I asked the head nurse if I could call my mom, but she said no, which devastated me. I would have done anything to have felt my mom’s hand holding mine. My parents waited outside of I.C.U. the next morning for visiting hours to begin. My mom was so thrilled to see that my lips were red, because the day before they were blue, but the happiness went away when she found out that I had eaten a cherry red ice pop before she saw me.

After a day in I.C.U, the doctor moved me into a regular hospital room. Twice a day the respiratory therapist came into my room to give me breathing treatments and to teach my parents how to pound on my back in order to break up the congestion in my lungs. During the day the nurses had me in a seated position to help my breathing. I was on a liquid diet for two days. After having nothing but liquid in my stomach, I was fed fried chicken and mashed potatoes. My mom stayed with me during the days and my dad stayed with me during the night. The only problem was that my dad could not stay awake the whole time, so all I heard was him snoring.

After a week of being in the hospital, I was released. The doctor said that I had an asthma attack which was due to two baby kittens my family had just adopted. My life, and my family’s life, was never the same. This is why I believe you should not take one breath of your life for granted.