briana - st.louis, Missouri
Themes: integrity

“This I believe”

“You preach about waiting for love. Well, here it is, right in front of you and you’re going to turn your back on it. So that makes you a hypocrite.” –Cruel Intentions. If you’ve ever said something to a friend, then you turn around and do what you said not to; that is what a hypocrite does. This I truly believe, others should practice what they preach before giving advice.

People closer to you than family are your best friends. My best friend Bree was going out with this guy and he told her that no matter what happened he would never judge her by her past. He had been judged by his past and he hated how it affected his future. 3 months later he broke up with her over something he had heard about her from her past. If you preach about how you don’t like being judged about something that happened in the past, you don’t have a right to judge someone when you hear about something that happened in their past.

A couple years ago I had this really good guy friend, who became my boyfriend. He used to tell me how he would never be one of those guys who cheated or lied to their girlfriends. Then I heard that he cheated on me with my best friend, I confronted him about it giving him the benefit of the doubt. When I asked him he still lied to my face about it. When you trust someone that much and then they lie to you and tell you they didn’t go back on their word, it really affects you. He used to be my best friend, now he’s one of the biggest hypocrites I’ve ever met.

What’s even worse than witnessing your friends and family being hypocritical, is being it yourself. No one is perfect and mistakes can happen. I know I have been a hypocrite at one time or another. I have learned through life is that you should stop and think about what your saying before you say it, because if you don’t, it could turn around and get you. You can change your beliefs on something, but don’t be hypocritical about something that you don’t believe in anymore, that you once did.