Ranee - Erin, Tennessee

I believe young adults should be made to work hard and earn the thing they want. When I wanted to get my drivers’ license and a vehicle, my parents didn’t let me go out and have my pick off a car lot. I didn’t get a vehicle for a graduation present or return for good grades. If I wanted to drive I had to get a job and save my money. Someone who is given anything they want don’t get hands on experience a job offers. They become unaware of the value of money if they are not earning it themselves.

Working hard and saving money to get the things you want, is what parents should influence their kids to do. I started working at the age of sixteen, cleaning dirty tables at a restaurant. My mom helped me by driving me back and forth to work. This was her way showing me that she was proud of me. Working weekends and nights after school I finally saved up enough money to buy a Chevy S-10 for myself on my eighteenth birthday. Buying my first vehicle with my savings made me appreciate it more than something I didn’t work hard to pay for. Money that you earn will be much more valuable than money handed out to you.

Having a job has also helped me out in many ways. It has not only helped me buy my first vehicle, it has made me a better person. I use to be shy and afraid to be around people. Now from having to work with many people I don’t know on a daily basis, I find it easier to talk to people. My job has made me more appreciative of people who also work hard to make a living. It has given me a taste of the, “real world” and taught me the value of a dollar. Having a job at a young age and being a hard worker can also be an advantage. It will give some background when looking for another job later in life. It will help you to get references from previous employers that will show future employers some background.

Working in a restaurant did another thing for me, it made me realize how much more I wanted to better myself. I knew that working in a restaurant was not where I wanted to be the rest of my life. I decided to go back to school and work my way through in order to not only get a better job, but to find a career. I started my freshman year at a community college near my hometown. I know if I don’t do well it would be a waste of time and money. Students who don’t have to pay out of their pockets for their college education tend to not take it as seriously.

Having a job at a young age is important for young adults. They will not only learn the value of hard work and money. It gives them a jump start into their future in the working world and as a person.