Megan - Columbus, Georgia

Unlocking the Past

Life, as I see it, is one huge scrapbook that breathes in my everyday existence and creates a new page by the time I rest my head on my pillow at night. I have seen as the days go by and I mature into the person I am, that every day, every memory, and every moment is precious and should always be remembered. Horrifying and taunting memories are usually wadded up and locked into the back of my mind to never see the light of day again, however I have come to see that they are important as well because they are what teach us and allow us to grow. I believe in making and keeping memories that will last a lifetime. New factors that are important to me and my life are made everyday, and I always commit them to my memory by taking tons of pictures and, as childish as it may sound, I still pull out my diary to recap my usually either invigorating of tantalizing experiences of the day.

Memories are too valuable to just throw away and let disappear into the past. I have learned that memories shape who I am and what I will become. Life is too short to take for granted, so rather than living each day in agony and longing for it to be over, I now live life like there is no tomorrow and create moments that will be remembered for all of time. Unlocking the past is something I yearn to do when I think of my grandparents. My grandparents both passed away two years ago and I can only dream about falling asleep feeling the soft touch of my grandmother’s fingertips as she tickled my back for exactly two hundred seconds like I always said she must, or sitting in front of my grandfather’s piano awestruck by his inspiring melodies as his fingertips seemed to fly across the keys as a bird flies across the sky. The only thing that keeps me sane when thinking about how they have disappeared from my life are remembering all of the good memories I had with them.

Taking pictures and writing down memories is always important and aids in remembering moments that are easily forgotten. I pulled out my photo album and my diary today and realized as I gazed into the enigmas of each picture and the words written across each page, that there are so many times in my life that I had forgotten. I believe that remembering the past is extremely important and is something I know will always be locked into my albums, my diary, but most of all my heart, and I can unlock them any time I wish.