Darren - Lobelville, Tennessee

Music has always been in my life. Ever since I was little I have enjoyed listening to music, whether it was George Jones with my granddad or Led Zeppelin with my dad.

Although music was all around me I never thought much about playing it. That changed one day in high school. I played basketball, and the season was over so we had that whole block to do whatever we wanted. My friend brought his guitar, a white Squier Stratocaster, and hooked it up in the locker room. He showed me how to play Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple. It is the song that everybody learns to play on the guitar. I’m sure it sounded terrible, but those first notes I played were the greatest sounds ever to me. This is why I believe in the power of music.

This is when I decided to get a guitar. I thought it was perfect because you could play it loud and aggressive or quiet and peaceful. I went and got my own guitar at Mary’s Music in Dickson. It was a dark blue Peavey Raptor with a little ten watt amp. I struggled through Smoke on the Water and Back in Black by AC/DC, however after playing it a million times and having my parents tell me to be quiet I finally got it. I slowly started learning things from books and the internet, but I eventually found out playing with others was the best way to learn.

This is when I started trying to get my little brother to play guitar. No matter how much I tried I couldn’t get him to play. He would always say he wouldn’t play the guitar because he wanted to play the drums. Instead of just giving up I went and bought a set of wine red Pulse drums. Now I can’t get him to quit playing them. What’s really funny is that he has no clue what he is doing, but it sounds good sometimes. It is so much fun playing with him even though it sounds like a bunch of nuts and bolts in a blender a lot of the time.

This is why I believe in the power of music. By playing music you can let out aggression with a loud distorted heavy metal riff or express your love for someone or something with a beautiful acoustic melody. It can also bring people together who may otherwise have nothing in common. I encourage everyone to try learning to play some instrument. You could end up being good at it or you might be terrible too. It doesn’t matter though as long as you are having fun. However, you do not have to play an instrument to enjoy music. Just listen to an iPod or put on your favorite CD. You can escape the drama of every day life, while listening to a song you relate to. Music is a very powerful thing. It can make you smile, cry, laugh, and most importantly think. This is why I believe in the power of music.