Abbey - Marietta, Georgia

I believe we all have a purpose in this world.

No matter how short or long our time spent here on earth, I believe each one of us serves a purpose and our actions have an effect on someone else. Everything that happens in your life was supposed happen for a reason.

A little over a year ago I found myself at an animal rescue center clutching an eight-week-old puppy to my chest. He was a mutt, nothing special, just your average run of the mill dog. But for me it was love at first sight, years of walks, belly rubs, and nap times flashed before my eyes as I stroked his soft ears. I couldn’t bear to put him down. The woman running the rescue center said he and his brothers and sisters had been rescued from a dog pound just hours before they were scheduled to be euthanized. The thought of this adorable puppy staying at the rescue center while I went home to my warm house with a loving family was unbearable. So, I paid the fifty-dollar adoption fee and filled out the rescue center’s forms and we were on our way. After the initial shock that overtook my parents when Charley and I first arrived home, they also fell in love with him. He fit right into our hectic family and immediately became obsessed with our other dog Buster. Also, he loved to play in the backyard with my younger brother and his friends, chasing around the kids while they played soccer; it became one of his favorite pastimes. Months went by and Charley and I became even closer, we graduated from puppy school and even learned a few tricks such as how to “shake” and “roll over.” Now he is the first to greet me when I get home in the afternoon and that last to say goodnight. Charley has given me a purpose. The responsibility that he has taught me may be greater than anything I will ever learn in school.

I like to think I was also able to give Charley a purpose too: he spends his days waiting for me to come home so when I do we can spend five minutes saying “hello,” before I have to move on to my homework. I like to think I was saving his life when I took him home from the animal shelter that day, and without me, maybe his life wouldn’t be as fulfilling as I hope it is for him now. Over the past year we have become a team; he fulfills my purpose and maybe I do the same for him.

I believe in Charley and I. I believe in the unique bond we share. I believe that on that Saturday afternoon in that dingy animal shelter, God gave us both a purpose: to care for one another, and love each other unconditionally, because, in simple terms, it was meant to be that way.