Kara - Portage, Michigan

To ask yourself who you are and what you are becoming are not only challenging questions, but questions of true character, of nature versus nurture and your motives. This I believe, if you lead in any way, it must be done in areas which you are talented and naturally gifted.

For quite some time I questioned my gifts and talents. I used to think talents were things like singing or dancing well. However since I am completely tone deaf and rhythmically impaired, neither of these are my talents.

Being a junior in college, I’ve realized that my talents and natural abilities lie in areas which have created a pattern in my life. Most students I have met thus far in my college career are confused about what to do with their lives, admittedly I am one of them, but this specific pattern is helping me to see more clearly the areas in which I excel.

My Father has always shared his insight with me that he believes I’m a talented writer. Although I have to acknowledge that writing is one of my least favorite activities, I will most likely end up in this area. I believe that God sometimes calls us to do the things we refuse or do with a negative attitude. And if God places our earthly parents in our lives to act as authoritative subjects in their children’s lives, how much more accurate could this be? Jonah ran from God but ended up in Ninevah. Chances are, I will be a writer.

The pattern I see with my own talents began as an eighth grader on a journalism committee. Prior to that I had always had an interest in literature and can still remember the books I checked out in elementary school. The pattern continued through high school on subsequent journalism and interviewing committees, as well as through working on my high school yearbook staff.

Now being half way through my junior year in college, I have not been involved in any form of campus media. But I still feel a calling in my talents, and realized how desperate I am to double major in English. Knowing that, along with competency I have in writing, I see that working with people and media is a passion I have developed.

I believe that your best talents reflect yourself. As you become more nurtured in the areas in which you are talented, it’s important to not forget the person screaming inside of you who wants you to be yourself. It took time for me to see how my talents have been developed into what they are today and how that fits into my life plan. But that sounds rather selfish. If you are to use your talents to lead, I believe that your life plan isn’t your own, but that God who gave you your talents has control over how you can use them to carry out his will and unselfishly give your talents to serve others.