Michael - Miami, Florida
Themes: love, setbacks

I believe in the power of communication. Communication is the God-given ability to continuously interact with someone using meaningful expressions to eagerly share a revolutionary idea that could possible change the world. I believe in what can be accomplished with words through communication. Sometimes through communication you can break a heart or mend one. It can make you crazy. Communicating ideas can inspire you and inspire a generation. It can end a war and just as easily start one.

Imagine a world where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. never told anyone about his dream. What about a world where the poetry of The Beatles was never heard? Could you imagine if you never heard those three words “I love you”? When I first heard those three words from my then girlfriend, Moira, I felt on top of the world. There was nothing that could bring me down from that high. If I ever had a moment where something was upsetting me just hearing her express her feelings for me made everything disappear. It was one of those things where if I didn’t have her constantly expressing her feelings for me my world would come crashing down.

I guess I should have knocked on a wooden table after thinking that because after six months she broke my heart. She told me she did not love me anymore. As Sir Isaac Newton said in his third law of motion, “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” My third law states: For every high in my life, there is an equal and opposite low.

I was in this funk where nothing could make me feel better. Things that would normally put me in a good mood or in some cases a state of ecstasy just seemed mundane and pointless. My twelfth grade English teacher, Mr. Panton, was familiar with my relationship with Moira and when he heard about what had happened he sent me this message:

“You need to put everything in perspective. I’m not saying it doesn’t hurt right now, it should, and it won’t hurt later, it will. Trust me, you never know when your heart will recover and sometimes just when you think it does the instant replay cues up.

“You’ll have moments when you need her deeply and moments when you will never regret this experience. As much as you feel like love has left you stranded in the middle of no where alone and hurt it will catch back up with you.

“In the end you will feel happy because it sounds like you loved this girl with all your heart. There are too many people out there that love and live with only half their heart and keep the other locked up in a safe so it won’t hurt, so it won’t live. I am proud of you.

“Care with all your heart because if you don’t you will quickly find life is not worth it. You will be in love again and you absolutely have to believe that. Once again, I’m proud of every step you take, even the ones that may hurt for now.”

Just as one person’s words nearly took all the joy from my life, another’s gave me hope. Communication is a wonderful tool for changing the world. On a smaller scale, communication is a wonderful tool for making someone feel better.