amanda - ravensdale, Washington
Themes: carpe diem

One minute you’re having a blast and are so in the moment to even think that it could come to an end. Then it does, it stops you right in your tracks and makes you realize that you could have lost your life. This is an indescribable feeling that only someone who has experienced this situation can explain. It puts your mind in a place where you don’t want to be. Your body goes through a short depression phase and all you can think about is what happened. I can explain this feeling because it has happened to me. I was in a rollover car accident almost a year ago. And this is why I believe in living each day like it’s your last, because you never know when it’s going to come to an end.

It was my boyfriend, Sal’s work party December 23rd, 2006. We went up to a lodge to have dinner, exchange gifts, and celebrate the holidays. We had a wonderful time and the food was delicious. It was about 9pm when we all called it a night and headed home. The drive was going great when all of a sudden a deer jumped out in front of the car and ran across the street. Sal’s natural instincts were to swerve to the side of the road to miss it. Since we were on a highway going about 60mph we flew through the ditch and drove through bushes. As he was trying to get out of the ditch his tire was caught in mud and flipped the car onto its roof.

The whole ride I just kept thinking to myself to stay calm and not yell or scream. My adrenaline was at full speed hoping that nothing bad was happening. As we came to a complete stop upside down, Sal got out and had to unbuckle me because I was in complete awe and confusion of what happened. The car behind us stopped and called 911. As the police arrived we sat in the patrol car and waited for our parents to come up and get us. The officer said that we were very lucky to be okay and unhurt. Right after I heard those words come out of his mouth I was very thankful that we were alive. It didn’t make any sense to me as to how we could be having so much fun one minute and then in a flash we could be hanging upside down in our seatbelts.

The next day was Christmas Eve and I wanted nothing to do with anyone. I was in a different place the entire time. All I could focus on was the accident and play it over and over in my head. I wanted to be alone and inside a dark room. I wasn’t happy or cheerful with any of my relatives. I kept thinking about all the possible things that could have happened to my boyfriend or I.

It took me a couple days to get rid of those horrible thoughts and come out and be myself again. Even though I wasn’t hurt, the crash made me realize how much it means to have life and to live. This is why I believe in living each day likes its your last because you never know when it will come to an end.