Growing up means learning from others

Flo - Germany
Themes: family, gratitude

For nearly my whole life, my most important duty has always been studying but my opinion about the most important duty has not always been the same. After the time when I was just excited to go to school because it was new to me, there was a long stretch, when especially basketball was more important for me than studying. What has happened so that I changed my mind about the importance of my duties? I try to write each paper today under any circumstances when there was a time when I just would have quit.

As I look back at the time when I didn’t consider studying as one of the most important parts of my life, I cannot see any reason for this kind of consideration today. During that stretch, my parents were always complaining about my missing effort in school and at least three times a month they were telling me: “Please come downstairs, we want to talk to you”. Although these conversations were annoying me very much and I tried to avoid them as often as possible there was that one conversation that changed my view. It was halfway into the first semester of the last two years in high school, which are the most important ones in the German school system, when my dad sat me down one night after dinner and talked to me about what I wanted to study. It had been a topic for many times but this time he finished the conversation with: “…what if you miss the required average GPA of your favorite college by 0.1?”

It took me a couple weeks until I really understood what he was trying to tell me. I started to realize how important the school is for the rest of my life and after I graduated from high school, my decision to consider school as more important makes me proud and confident about the rest of my life. I realized that although it is not always fun, the time invested in studying pays off.

Although I think that everybody needs to make their own experiences and learn from them, the ability to use advices, especially from those who love you, is as crucial as that. Their advices are so valuable because they want help you by sharing their experiences with you.