Jordan - Adell, Wisconsin

I believe asking a simple question can change your veiw of the World?

When I first came to college I was very nervous about meeting new people. It turned out that most of the people that I meet at college were just like me. We enjoyed the same pleasures, movies, loud rap music, and the loved to party. I was well on my way to have a great group of friends at college. Most of them were on the football with me, and as freshman we had a lot of the same classes together, and lived together so undoubtedly we became close. The when the regular students started to arrive after football camp, there was a new addition too our team. He was a running back, the same position as me. I got to know this person very well and we became friends quickly. During practice we would make jokes, and talk in between drills about school. We were practically inseparable, we ate together, and our lockers close to each other. Through the whole football season my friends and I ate, practiced and studied together. We were practically inseparable. It was getting towards the end of our first semester at college and I was working at the sports center and I was talking to my friend and fellow running back. I asked him the simple question of where did you come from. I expected his answer to be short and simple, but couldn’t have been more wrong. He started to talk to me about where he used to live in Africa and how he was adopted and brought to the United States. This turned into more questions and lead to a 3 hour conversation. It made me think about how hard it had to be to move when you are 12, leave your family and then come to the U.S. which is a shocking society if you aren’t used to it. After talking to him about where he came I Believe that you don’t realize how lucky you are until you hear about where others come from.