Angeline - Canfield, Ohio

Life is not easy; some people say life is not fair. But we are put here for a reason, and we make the best of what we are given. I believe I am blessed by God. A blessing in life is my younger sister, Francesca. Francesca was born with Down syndrome. Some people might believe having a relative with a disability is a burden, but I believe God knew my family was strong enough to love and handle a child with special needs; so he blessed us with Francesca. Francesca is not only a blessing to my family, she blesses every person she meets. With a friendly “Hi, how are you?” and a grin from ear to ear, she makes many people’s day. She shows me how to be a better person. Her smile brightens my day, and her optimistic personality motivates me. Whenever I become frustrated, I think of what Francesca must go through, and I push myself, because I know she does the same. When I feel there is too much in my life to handle, I think of Francesca and how well she manages everything. I then try to do my best and keep going. It is a true blessing from God that I can turn to my sister and become motivated and inspired to do great things.

Francesca is a very genuine person and I thank God every day for giving her to me as my sister. I want to be the best sister and set a good example for her, but sometimes this is a difficult, yet worthwhile challenge. I would do anything for my sister; she has taught me some of life’s greatest lessons. She has taught me not to judge people, to get to know them and see what is on the inside. The love she has for life has helped me to open my eyes to the beauty God has created. When I am with Francesca, I feel so lucky because I am with one of the most genuine, loving, kind people I know. Francesca is my sister, my friend, my mentor, and even though she is younger than me, I look up to her more than I look up to anyone else in my life. And I thank God every day that he blessed me with such a beautiful person, who I am proud to call my sister.