Love from Unexpected Places

Lauren - Silver City, New Mexico

As I lay on my bed last night, angry, sad, worried, and alone, I thought about my life and what I did not have. I did not have a boyfriend. I did not have very many friends, and the ones I did have did not really seem to care about me. I did not have a job or good grades at school. At that moment I felt as though every bad thing that could happen was going to happen to me.

I lay there near tears thinking about my horrible life, when suddenly I felt something press up against my back. I rolled over to realize that my dog, Sunny, had cuddled up to me. I don’t know if she sensed that I needed a friend right at that moment, or if she had just been cold, but she made me realize that my life was not that bad. In fact it was actually pretty good. I began thinking about what I had in my life that a lot of people did not have. I have a very loving family all of whom are in good health. My mom and dad are my closest friends, and I know they love me with all their hearts. Most of all I have an amazing best friend; you know, the one cuddled up to my back.

We have been inseparable since I was seven. I still don’t know why I named her Sunny, since she is black in color, but I tell everyone it’s because of how I felt when I got her. Overwhelming, endless joy that came from the bond between two friends who knew they would be together forever. I have a bigger bond with that little dog than with most people.

She taught me about God, angels, and the power of prayer. Those nights when she would have seizures I would pray, “Please God don’t take her she’s all I have.”

For fourteen years I have repeated this prayer over and over again, and for fourteen years each prayer was answered. She now only has two teeth left, bad arthritis, and cataracts, but still fights for me, plays with me, and loves me.

We have had our rough patches just like all friends do. I tend to hold grudges when I am angry, but she taught me about forgiveness. Before we went to bed last night Sunny had just gotten in trouble. If she wants dinner (again) and I won’t listen, she strews the trash in the bathroom all down the hallway. She knew that I was angry with her, and still found it in her heart to comfort me in my time of need like a true friend would.

It does not matter what I do not have, because what I do have, my little dog, makes up for it all. I believe that life lessons can be learned, and love found from unexpected places, like in my best friend, Sunny.