Kayla - North Port, Florida

I believe strongly in showing compassion towards other and demonstrating it through generosity. Compassion is defined as the awareness or sympathy towards others who wish to relieve the certain situation, while generosity is defined as the act of freely giving. Both of these words combined can help others as well as one to understand this more clearly. I would not understand the meaning of life or the importance of giving hope to others and myself for a better life without compassion though generosity.

Ever since I was about six years old, my mother and I were involved in an organization called “For the Better,” an organization in St. Therese, my Catholic elementary school. This organization was formed to assist families around the area in Aurora, Colorado who were in need of food, or clothing. My mother and I volunteered to help the Gomez family. Lilia Gomez, the mother of three, was a single parent struggling for a while just to make ends meet. My mother and I were determined to aid them in any way possible and assist them through their time of crisis and despair.

When my mother and I arrived at their beat up old apartment, we handed them the food and clothing they desperately needed. Seeing the two younger boys and the little girl’s faces light up with joy like it was Christmas made me feel proud of myself because I knew the emotion I felt was compassion, and I was able to display generosity towards this family. Being compassionate and generous made me realize that I was giving hope to the children and mother showing that we cared for them. I wanted them to have the feeling that there was a chance for a better life.

Another particular situation showed me the meaning of compassion through generosity. When I was in living in Aurora, there had been cases of illegal immigrants who had been deported. Many parents of the little children were captured and were sent back to their homeland; however, many children were stuck inside their homes and had no way of taking care of themselves or their siblings. My church was determined not to send these children back to their homeland because the parents wanted their children to have better lives here in America. The church decided to take the children in but needed funds to support them for the time being. At age eight, I collected all my money and gave it to my local Catholic church to help these kids. I truly felt sorrow and tried to encourage these kids that everything would be alright. I was able to give and help provide a better life for the kids through my compassion and generosity.

Looking back, I can say these experiences made me a believer in showing compassion through generosity. When I am generous it shows that I respect the value of others, and when I express compassion it shows that I care and think that everyone deserves the best possible life.