Rebecca - Springhill, Florida
Themes: purpose, setbacks

What I Believe

I know that everything in my life is connected in someway; the hard times, the easy times, the times I couldn’t stop laughing, or crying. I believe many things, but one belief that has stuck with me since I was thirteen, is the belief that everything happens for a reason.

My mother and I are very close, and when she got hurt six years ago my world came crashing down. She came down with a disease called, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. Everything in my life had come to a halt, and it opened my eyes. Each year she became even sicker, and her doctors said it would be best for her if she moved down south.

After two years of her injury, we packed up our stuff and moved from Massachusetts to Florida. I felt like everything was being taken away from me. I left my life behind; I left my dad, my sister, my brother, my love for dancing, my friends, and everything that I ever knew.

In that moment in my life, I knew that there was no explanation of why things happened, but that every experience in life connects with another experience that would later on happen in life. Growing up, I’ve molded my choices around this belief.

I believe my mother got hurt so that we would move to Florida because her job was the only thing holding us back. At first, I thought things were unfair and I was angry, but I started realizing that the other things in my life wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t move to Florida.

My mother enrolled me in Bishop McLaughlin Catholic High School. At that point I didn’t care where I went, because I didn’t think I would ever be happy. My first day of school, I was very upset and I didn’t really act myself. I met my first friend, Brittney Currie, who I knew would be a long life friend. She went to elementary school with a lot of kids in my class so she introduced me to everyone. One person that stuck out to me was this boy, Coleman Hengesbach. We became very close friends, and sooner or later he became my first boyfriend. We spent everyday together and grew closer throughout the years. I went out with him all through high school, and I fell in love with him. Although, we are not going as strong as we use to, I know in my heart, eventually our paths with cross again.

Although I hate that my mother is still very ill, it’s her disease that brought me to Florida. I have gained amazing friends, like Brittney Currie who is currently my roommate, and my first love who will always have my heart. I believe my mother got hurt so that I would meet these amazing people who have changed my life forever. Every experience we encounter shapes each detail about us, and moving to Florida has shaped me into the person I am today.