Melissa - Dunedin, Florida
Themes: love

This I Believe…

I believe that distance is not the end. I believe that love can overcome all obstacles even when it spans thousands of miles and various time zones.

My two year relationship with a phone has left me more in love and more alone than I ever thought that I could be. We started off as strangers when I found myself lost in the middle of no where. He was on his bright red, black, and chrome motorcycle, which made him more approachable than the old gas station attendant. He gave me directions back to the interstate which I finally got on five hours later, after we finished talking and exchanging numbers. I do not like to say that it was love at first sight, but he stole my heart that night. Early in our relationship I knew that he was leaving for the Air Force, and I promised to stand by his side as he served our country and wait for him. Little did I know that our love would travel from our home state of Florida to Texas for basic training, then Germany where he is stationed for two years, then Kyrgyzstan and Iraq for deployment.

Everyone has always told me that distance makes the heart grow fonder. But how much distance can the heart take before it starts breaking? The distance that separates my boyfriend and I has now become second nature. We have learned to cope by spending many tear filled conversations on the phone, investing in varies web cameras until we found one that would consistently show a clear picture, and sacrificing thousands of dollars in phone cards. It is not until I see happy couples holding one another, or I take a good look around my dorm room and notice every one of our old picture hanging on my walls, that I realize how much I actually miss him and far away he truly is. I believe that distance is the obstacle that has made my relationship and the love that my boyfriend and I share that much more special. Our relationship has had to evolve into much more than just physical attraction to survive. It is based on the trust that we will be faithful to one another and the compromises that we have both made to stay together. I believe that because of the distance and the challenges that we have had to face we are stronger and cherish the little things, like our long Friday night motorcycle rides, the nights we stayed up all night laughing and talking, and the amazing month I spent with him in Europe last Christmas. He has become so much more to me than the stranger on the motorcycle. He is the person that will not let me off the phone when something is wrong, the smile that makes me smile, and my best friend.

Distance that accompanies a relationship is not the end but a speed bump in the road to the beginning.