Jill - Spring Hill, Florida

I believe that miracles can be seen everyday. I believe miracles are the one thing that can cause people to stop and truly come together.

It was about two years ago now when my families miracle had happened. It was a Sunday night and everything seemed as it should until there was a phone call, but it wasn’t the traditional kind. It was one which caused my mothers face to turn white as a ghost and gasp for breath. Once my mother was off the phone she paused for a moment, and informed our family of the situation. My aunt had overdosed and was now in a coma, and in intensive care.

The news caused everyone to pause, stop, and think about the next steps toward helping my aunt. Since my aunt lived in New Hampshire we were faced with a dilemma, not all of us could go. After phone calls to many aunts and uncles my mom decided it was her job to go. She would be the stronghold for our family. My mom was there for a few days, but conditions remained the same. The doctors revealed that my aunt was going to be brain dead. We were faced with the decision whether or not to remove her from life support.

That weekend we made a family trip. We gathered from all over to say our goodbyes at her bedside not knowing if this was the last time we would speak to her. That was the first time I saw my family truly united, in one room, reminiscing and spending time as a true family. This was something we had not done in a long time.

My family had drifted apart over the years due to family fights and disagreements, but this tragedy had finally brought us back together. About two or three weeks after we left the hospital, we received another phone call. Everyone was anxious to hear the news; my uncle told my mother that my aunt had come out of her coma. It was what most would call a true miracle or “an extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers”(dictionary.com). Although she would have to undergo a lot of rehab for speech, walking, and other motor skills, she was alive and alert. It was a miracle everyone prayed for, but no one expected to be answered.

Even though this was the most obvious miracle, another one occurred that day. A family was reunited and became one again. We were able to overcome our differences and adversities we had experienced which separated our family and unite together to help my aunt pull through.

I believe that miracles are a part of life, and occur not once in awhile but every day. It can be the simplest miracle, like making someone smile, or a more serious miracle like my aunt overcoming a coma. Regardless of what the miracles might be, they have a way of bringing people together as one.