Marisa - Auburn, Washington
Themes: love

I believe in the ability to fall in love with the risk of getting your heart broken. Sometimes we tend to be so concerned with falling in love that we tend to forget that we may be at risk of a broken heart. Most of the time a person may be too blind to see the pain and hurt that can occur with love and so they end up with a broken heart.

In my last relationship with a guy named Marcus, that I had met my junior year of high school; I began to talk to him in class and over the phone for months and months until he graduated. After high school we ran into each other in random places, such as parties or the local fairs but when we saw each other it was nothing more than a hello. Then one day my friend and I had decided to go to a local skating rink. We were putting on our skates when all of a sudden she said, “Oh, there is my friend Marcus.” She got up and said hello to him. While I began to tie my skates, I looked up for a moment and saw that it was the Marcus from my high school. I walked over to him and said hello and then left to go skate. After skating was over my friend whispered in my ear, “Marcus said he goes wherever you go.” So I walked over to Marcus, we talk for a while and then we exchange numbers. The next day we meet up and went to his house to hang out. After we hung out he dropped me off at school and then a few hours later he asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes and we dated for a while and then broke up. I continued to still see Marcus almost everyday for 6 months, hung out with him, and talked to him on the phone for hours a day. One day we were watching a movie at his house and while I was lying in his arms, I noticed that my feelings for Marcus were getting stronger and that I had fallen in love. About three weeks after my realization, I noticed that Marcus was acting different. I had asked him if he was okay, he said no and then began to call me a bunch of horrible names. I got so upset, called him names too, and told him I never wanted to speak to him again. It broke my heart to be in love with him and have him disrespect and hurt me the way he did.

So you see, I believe in the ability to fall in love with the risk of a broken heart. I also believe that pain is only weakness leaving the body; and therefor it is something that we need to go through to become stronger. Because of the pain I received from Marcus, I’m now a whole lot stronger.