ashley - biloxi, Mississippi
Themes: equality, work

I believe in the Constitution when it states that “all men are created equal.” I believe in the Pledge of Allegiance when it says “one nation, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.” I also believe that the men and women who sacrifice life and limb for our freedom everyday are more than ordinary people. They are heroes.

My father served for twenty one years in the United States Air Force. He worked as a mechanic on the planes and got the chance to travel all over the world. He was also given the chance to help out in Operation Desert Storm. When September 11 happened, my father was a member of Reserves. He was told to be prepared because he might receive a call to go to war. At the time my dad had a two year old and a thirteen year old. He was worried about having to leave us, but he knew what his duties were and he prepared. He never received the call, but he was ready to go. After twenty one years of service and two years of retirement, he was still ready.

I believe that our armed forces deserve more praise. Then do not ask to be sent to Iraq or Afghanistan. They ask to help protect our freedom and our country. They do not deserve to be ridiculed for protecting us. It takes a very strong individual to devote your life to protecting your country and its citizens. So I say hats off to the armed forces, because without people like them, and my father, our country would not be what it is today. We would not be living in this wonderful land of opportunities. They are the people who make America so great.

One final belief of mine is that we do have everyday heroes also. These people are everywhere. One example is my grandmother. She began supporting her family at the age of eleven. She was forced to drop out of school and work in the factories. She did everything for collect cans to work in the seafood factories to make ends meet. She was a truly amazing woman. She worked up until she was to sick to do so anymore. She believed in values. One of her values was that you should give to those in need. Not because you have to, but because it is the right thing to do. She taught all of these values to my mother, aunts, and uncle. Even though she has passed, they still carry on her thoughts, beliefs, and hard work. They all work long hours to support their families and I respect them so much for that. When I have children I will teach them the same things. I will teach them that you have to work hard for the things that you want, because in the end it makes them so much more worth it.