Rachel - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I believe in God-bumps.

I was born and raised Episcopalian. My family went to church every Sunday. My mom was a member of the choir, and I always tagged along. My dad sat in the pews every Sunday and my brother and I went to Sunday school religiously (no pun intended). I do not remember much about the first church I went to, and nothing about the second, third, or possibly the fourth, but what I do remember is the year we moved to Arizona we found the church that I consider home. In this home I found another family.

It’s funny how sometimes the words of another person speak to your soul, as if they knew specifically what your heart needed to hear at that very moment. At my church, I found a friend who did this for me. She is not famous, she is not perfect, and she does not always do the right thing. I am not sure she will ever understand the importance I have placed on the simple idea she proposed to me, but she has left with me the idea that there has to be something more to life than just the dirt beneath our feet.

After telling me some sort of story one day, she ended by saying, “It gave me God-bumps.”

“God-what’s?” I replied, with genuine curiosity.

“God-bumps,” she said. “You know when you get goose bumps when it’s not cold, and they seem to have come from nowhere, except you feel them in every part of your body? Those are God-bumps.”

It was such a simplistic explanation for such a complex concept. I had never before tried to explain the phenomenon of getting goose bumps when I hear the song Amazing Grace, or hold a new born child, or see the colors of a sunset radiate the sky with such a splendid brilliance. I had never before thought about the possibility of others having this same feeling, the same unknown awareness that life is too precious to be accidental.

I am no longer that same child who went to church every Sunday with her family. In fact, I am not currently attending a church at all. But to me, the mere routine of attending church is not what this life is about. I am Christian. I believe in Jesus Christ. This is my choice to believe. And whether or not the end of life is the beginning of another, this life, the here and now, I believe is about the wonder, the amazement, the acknowledgement, the beholding, the understanding and misunderstanding of how we are all connected.

So whether you call them “God-bumps,” a tingly sensation, the warming of your heart, or just a strange feeling, appreciate the moments in life when you feel that you are fortunate enough to be a part of something greater.