Patience is a virtue

Ashley - Beloit, Wisconsin

When Danny was younger, his mom put a lot of bills in his name and failed to pay them. Since she didn’t pay them, they were turned into collections. Danny, now twenty-two, realized that it didn’t matter what his mom had done to his credit when he was in his late teens; he said, “it didn’t matter what she did, at the end of the day, she is still my mom”. Danny showed his mom a considerable amount of patience, which rubbed off on me once we started dating.

Once Danny and I got engaged, which was six and a half months ago, we started talking about being out on our own. Moving out of my parents’ house and living life the way we wanted to, not how everyone else wanted us to.

We finally decided to start looking for a house that was close to campus and was affordable, since we were living off of his paychecks, as mine paid for school. We found one that was in our price range when we were looking through the local newspaper. It was a tiny two bedroom house. We called the number that was in the paper and set up a meeting with the landlord. We filled out the paper work that the landlord needed and he said he would call us once he got the house ready to be moved into. He called us about a week later and said that we could move in once we got the first months rent and the security deposit. That was the easy part.

Now, all we had ahead of us was the hard part — trying to convince my parents to let me move in with Danny. When we were sitting in his primer grey Honda Prelude on a nice, warm fall day, he looked at me and told me to be patient, which would help. I said “Okay, if you say so.” I didn’t really believe him, because I had never been patient up to this point and still got what I wanted.

We walked into my parent’s house and sat on the loveseat to ask my parents if I could move in with Danny. My mom was sitting at the breakfast bar, not saying a word as my dad sat on the couch across from Danny and me. They said no at first, and I just had to respect their decision. I was still being patient with my parents. Later, after thinking about it for a while, my dad said that we could move in together, even though he wasn’t thrilled.

We moved in a week later, and are doing just fine on our own. Yes, we have hit a few bumps along the way, but who doesn’t. Danny taught me that with being patient good things will come and this I believe.