Strong Women Make Strong Women

Monica - Coronado, California

I believe you are influenced greatly by the strong people around you in life. They teach you things by examples they don’t even realize that are showing you. I am lucky to have some very strong women in my life that have taught me to be a strong person.

Both of my great grandmothers were very determined women. They believed that family meant everything and you have to fight for what you believe in. They both were very caring loving women with just the right amount of toughness. These two women made an influence on one of the strongest women in my life, my mother.

My mom is one of the strongest women I know. She over came many difficult obstacles growing up. She faced the loss of her first son and raised a family of three good kids. She always did what needed to be done. She wore many different hats. Taxi driver, homework helper, dinner cooker, and many more, my list could go on forever. She figured out how to make everyone happy even if it meant she wasn’t always happy. We moved around a lot when we were younger. Yet she always seemed to make where ever we were feel like home. She unpacked fast and encouraged us to make new friends. But when that was hard for my sister one year my mom went and picked her up everyday for lunch until she felt comfortable staying at school. Moving a lot also meant that my mother was far from the very family that meant so much to her.

Now that we have all grown and gone away to school my mother has taken on the task of caring for her own strong mother, father, and great grandfather. Which is not at all easy. Her mother is wheelchair bound. Her father is, well let’s just say he’s altogether a hand full. And her great grandfather is 92 years old. But somehow my mom still gets it all done.

This strong woman has taught me so many things and I’m not even sure she realizes it. I know that finishing school is important. I know sometimes you have to fight for what you believe in. I know that telling people how I feel and not keeping things in is the way to go. I know its ok to cry and that family always comes first. And if a great shoe fits, buy it in every color!

I believe that strong women make strong women. I only hope that I can be as strong as the women that have influenced my life, and I believe that maybe some day I can teach another girl to be a strong woman too.