Todd - Napoleon, Ohio

In 1776, 13 colonies declared their independence from a great nation. After a war and a failed government the U.S. Constitution was formed. Since then America has long way from those 13 isolated colonies. America has become an international superpower and its people can control that power. With this power comes great responsibility, the responsibility to vote. I believe Americans need to change America.

Unfortunately, the people haven’t lived up to their responsibility and the United States government only represents half of America; the half that votes. Of the 250 million possible voters, only half actually vote. Of that half, how many are well educated on the issues and candidates? There is a voting problem in this country, and it can be changed if everyone believes that their vote will count.

My government teacher focuses on current events, and, through his lectures, I have learned how the dollar is losing strength due to high-energy prices, and energy prices are getting higher due to the weakening dollar. He explained how high energy costs causes an unstable economy. He also explained that house foreclosures are at an all time high because homeowners can’t make payments. He also explains how schools can’t always afford things they need, like books and teachers. He said that the new books the school just received will have to last 15 years.

Current candidates are concerned with issues, such as stem cell research, gay marriage and abortion. While these are important social issues, America could go on without a clear choice for or against them. However the current administration has never really tried to fix what is wrong with (the base of) America. Yet it seems like in the upcoming election the focus is on morality, when it should be on issues like poverty, healthcare, public education, energy needs and transportation. If no candidate pays attention to the issues that let America operate on a day-to-day basis then the issues of morality may never be decided.

Luckily, for America, its base can be prevented from decaying. The government has the power to fix what is wrong; it just needs the right candidates to guide it there. And straight from the U.S. Constitution “We the people” can choose the candidates. I believe that America needs to find the candidates that will fix the base of America and exercise their right and responsibility to vote. The time for massive change is nearing and when that Election Day comes all of America needs to assure that it will change.