J - Napoleon, Ohio

I grew up in a strong Lutheran family. I was raised to believe that with Gods help it is possible to do anything. When people grow up they face many different challenges. It’s how you handle that challenge that makes you who you are today. My brothers and I were taught that if we put our mind to something the possibilities of where we could end up would be endless.

Throughout school, I have always been involved in sports. I played football, basketball, track, soccer, and baseball. Although the sport that I excelled at the most was football. I was always larger and faster than most of those around me, and, unlike other players I enjoyed the contact. Prior to my sophomore season I was lifting for football when in the middle of squatting, I separated a disc in my lower back.

Immediately, I felt an intense burning and a sudden rush of pain swept over my body. That evening, I went to the emergency room, and the doctor told me what had happened. Relieved that it was nothing extremely serious and that I could make an almost total recovery, I began to ask about football practice. That was when the doctor told me that I couldn’t return. My back was weak and if I were to return the chance of a similar injury happening again with an even more serious outcome would be inevitable.

I retuned home thankful that I could make a full recovery; I would just have to stay away from contact sports. As time passed, I began to become depressed; I would often ponder what I was going to do now. I could hardly play any other sport at the high school level because I gave them all up to focus on football. To jump back into basketball after two years out and make the team would be very unlikely. I explained to my dad what I was upset about and asked for his guidance. My dad looked at me with a smirk on his face and said, “Nothing is stopping you Jordan, I know deep down that if you put your mind to it you can do anything.”

Now looking back on the situation, I take the words my father said to heart. I am a senior this year and still playing varsity basketball. If it wasn’t for me taking those words to heart and persevering, I might not be where I am at today. I try to live my life with the ideals I was raised with; if you set your mind to something the possibilities of where you could end up would be endless!