B - Napoleon, Ohio

“Don’t Cry Because It’s Over, Smile Because it Happened”

By: Brooke Zachrich

As someone grows up, they go through many experiences and situations. These experiences always come to an end for some reason or another. Whether it is t-ball when you’re a child, your teenage years, or a career as an adult. At sometime these experiences end. Each experience is a milestone that a person passes in their life. After each experience ends, a person should not be sad that it’s over, but happy because of all the memories they have to remember from the experience.

As a young child until now, athletics have been a huge part of my life. From practicing and shooting hoops at home, to playing a Friday night game at the Grand Canyon, basketball has been my life. As a senior this is my last basketball season. When I look back on high school as that stage in my life is over, but I will smile because of all the hard work I put in and all the memories I have last forever.

I will get my diploma and graduate from Napoleon High School in about 6 months. I have gone to school with some of my classmates for over a decade. Whether it is sports, my family, or spending time with my friends, I have memories that will last a lifetime.

As this time in my life comes to an end the thought of not being able to make more memories, leaving my friends, and move on with my life scares me. When I think about my high school career and teenage years, sadness should not come to my heart. I should be happy that I was lucky to have so many memories.

When a person is young, they look forward to one day every year; their birthday. When you’re young, all you want is to be older, but, when you actually get older, you want to be young again. Forty, which is over the hill, is one of the most dreaded birthdays in the world. No one wants to turn forty, and that’s because their finally leaving their childhood and young adulthood behind and becoming what they always made fun; an old person. Someone should not go through life dreading and being sad a stage in their life has come to an end, but they should be happy to start a knew stage in their life and smile when they look back to the past.

Whether I like it or not every experience I have gone through affects my life. Every experience, good or bad, will come to an end and will affect me directly or indirectly. When this time in my life ends, I will look back on it and smile because the memories I have made, or the lessons I have learned have helped me to get to the place where I am now. I won’t cry when reminiscing about the past but I will smile because it happened.