C - 43545, Ohio
Themes: question

Doubt. It’s a very strong word. It can change people’s confidence. It can change people’s minds. At one point in someone’s lives they have to deal with doubt. Whether it’s with himself or herself or with someone they know. I believe doubt is just another word for opportunity.

Throughout my life doubt has always been a word lingering over my head. From the day I was born I had health difficulties. Growing up in a praised town I was considered too small to play. I even had to get a doctors note to play peewee football because of my size. During these times “doubt” was still right next to me. I realized that when people doubted me, it made it that much sweeter to do something well. I will never forget when I turned that word “doubt” into the word “opportunity”. I had something no other kid had. Speed. I used it, and people noticed.

I came to realize that doubt would always be around people, for the rest of their lives. When I went to high school the first things my coach said were, was that I needed to work on my size and lift more. People still doubted me. After everything I had accomplished. So I took that doubt as another opportunity and I lifted every chance I had. By the time sophomore year came along I was second-string running back even though I weighed a measly 150 pounds. I did make it on kick return and that’s where the coaches realized I had speed.

By the time I got to my senior year I weighed 165 and was listed at our first string running back. 165 pounds is still very small for a running back and even at this point, after all the work I had put in, I was doubted. I heard the whispers, I read the articles. People doubted me.

I will never forget the moment. First game of the season, playing our rivalry team at their place. Second play of the game. 23 dive. I took the handoff and broke a few tackles to complete at 65-yard touchdown run. I remember that, that was the point in my life at which I had overcome doubt. I ended up being a 1,000-yard rusher and lead out team in scoring. I overcame doubt, and I believe anyone can overcome doubt. Because all doubt really is, is just opportunity.