Alan - Saint louis, Missouri
Themes: work

There was a little train that tried to make it up a hill and the other trains didn’t think he could do it. However, he never gave up and he made it through his obstacles. I believe, “if you think you can, you can.” It has been my high school experience that when things were looking hopeless, and I just wanted to give up, if I kept on telling myself I could do it, I could.

I was a freshman in high school staying after school for track and field. One day, the team had to sign up for an event that they wanted to participate in. The only event that I didn’t want was hurdles because I didn’t think I could do it and it looked hard. Nobody signed up for the hurdle event, so my coach went up to me and asked me if I was interested. I said no because I didn’t think I was capable. He said he believed in me and forced me to do it. The next day, I practiced on the hurdles, and I kept on doing the technique wrong. I was getting frustrated while the upper class men were successfully making it look easy. One of my team mates Davion saw me struggling and decided to help me out. He told me to never give up and keep on trying. The next three days, I got the hang of it, perfected the technique, and placed first and second in most of my races.

Likewise at first, when I was struggling on my homework, I just didn’t do it. My teacher told me to never give up and said practice makes perfect. She also said, “If you can stay after school, I can help you.” So I decided to stay after school that day, and she stayed for two hours to help me and the material finally sunk in. When I think about it, it was pretty easy and it was hard to believe that I struggled with the material.

My teacher, whose name doesn’t want to be mentioned, has students that struggle academically. She finds she has to constantly repeat herself and rephrase the material to help and assist the students understanding. Also, she edits papers at least four times every day, because of her dedication. Finally she reminds herself to not give up on these kids because they are the future generation.

When things look hopeless and you feel like giving up, think of the first time you said that, and remember how you overcame that obstacle. Learn from your mistakes and teach other people to achieve their goals. The little train believed in himself while others didn’t believe he could do it. All that matters is self confidence. To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.