jared - middletown, Ohio
Themes: pleasure

A French author once wrote “God is a comedian performing to an audience too afraid to laugh”. This author’s name was Voltaire, who lived during the enlightenment period. Of all the quotes I have heard in my lifetime, this is the one that stands out the most to me. When first reading it, I chuckled and didn’t give it much thought. After a while of thinking about it though, I found that it has some serious truth to it. This quote could be taken a couple of different ways. I find that Voltaire is saying people are taking life too seriously. This quote has made me open my eyes to the fact that people do take life way too seriously, and they just need to relax. That is what I believe.

When I was younger, I’d say about fifteen or so, I was always serious. It seems like I took everything serious back then, and I didn’t really enjoy how I was acting, and I didn’t know why. Whether I was in school, or at home, I was always stressing over something. One day, after hearing Voltaire’s quote, I started to think. I realized that maybe I was stressing out over the things that don’t really matter in the long run. This was the start of me changing into who I am today.

Sitting here now, as a young adult in college, I seem to have adopted a new outlook on things. I have always been the one that people say; oh he is laid back, and is a really easy going guy. I believe that this is the only way to be in this world if you want to enjoy it. You can’t live life sweating the small stuff, because if you did, that would be all you would do. I don’t know how many times I have asked myself why people always make a big deal out of small things, and worry about them, and it bothers me that no one can answer that question. There are so many things in this world that are messed up and sometimes you just have to say screw it, and not worry about it.

Since adapting this new found outlook on life, I have found that I enjoy life so much more than the people that stress over things that don’t really matter in the long run. People just need to look at the big picture. Instead of worrying about little things in life, people just need to take time to enjoy life, and have a little fun. That is what I believe.