I Believe in Creativity

Melanie - Auburn, Washington

Pablo Picasso said that all children are artists and the problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Most of the time we think children like to use their imagination and mature people should have the ability to think rationally. This kind of mentality makes some of us as adults lose our sense of being creative. We’re stuck in the world of reality, a place where fact and evidence rule our lives. We like to bury our imagination as deep as we can and ignore our originality. We think that we should be the same as the rest of the world, and after that we start to question ourselves when we can not find the vision and inspiration in our certainty. I believe in creativity because it makes my life exciting.

Creativity makes my life thrilling. It makes me feel like I am born everyday. From the time I wake up in the morning until the end of my day I create a lot of ideas that help me go through my life. Creativity provides excitement for me and others around me. As a teacher in a childcare center, I always need my creativity to make all the children in my class get excited, because many times the kids’ interest do not match with the lesson plan. I have to pay attention to their curiosity and turn it into something fun for them. For example, one day the lesson plan was about planting seeds but the children were interest with “Happy Feet” the penguin. That afternoon, I used my imagination to draw the penguin body parts, cut them and let the children put them together. It was fun and all the kids in my class were happy with it. Moreover, I like scrap booking, and when I am doing it, I will take a long time to finish it because I want to make sure that every page is different but still relate to the theme I chose. The best way to maintain my creativity is to develop new creative hobbies. Trying something that I have never done encourages me to think in new, more creative ways and makes my life cheerful.

Mary Lou Cook said that creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun. We always have to remind ourselves that creativity is important, and that we should use it all the time. Creativity is like a gift; it will work when we use it and not overlook it. All of us are artists; we have the power within us to make our existence more meaningful. Life is uncertainty, and that is why we need to motivate ourselves, take the challenge, commit and try to accomplish our dreams. We should be unique, and we should achieve what is the best for ourselves. I believe in creativity because it inspires my life.