James - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: work

I believe in hard work and with it I can do anything. This is something I used to hear even as a little kid, but it is very true. My grandma used to talk about how I can do whatever I want, go wherever I want, and more importantly, be whomever I want if I work hard enough. My grandparents used to own a farm in South Africa before they moved to America. The farm was pretty big and took a lot of people and hard work to run it. In order to be successful, everyone had to try their hardest to do the most they can. Working so hard is what made my grandparents able to earn the money needed to live.

I believe that no matter how hard the conditions someone is living in, they can work your way out of it; they just have to try. So what if they dropped out of high school and are barely getting by working an hourly job. If they make the decision to work hard enough and go back to finish school, I believe they can make something of themselves. They can have however amount of money they want and can start whatever career they want.

I believe that even a person living in a box in Mexico with an extremely little amount of money can be successful if they work hard enough. If there is not an opportunity for them in Mexico, they can request citizenship in any country they want, and it does not have to be America. The waiting list in America is about 3-4 year for citizenship, but it is near to nothing for places like Switzerland or England. Many Jewish people did what they had to do during the holocaust to get out of Germany at the time. I believe that they did all this through hard work. They left the hard life of torture, and they attained citizenship.

I believe that no matter what situation you are in, with hard work you can work your way through it and do your best. Some people’s expectations might be at a higher level then others and may require an extreme amount of talent, but doing the best that you can do, and going beyond these expectations, is the overall goal of life. Only with hard work can people achieve this goal. Denzel Washington once said, “You do what you have to do to do what you want to do.” He is exactly right. I believe that with hard work I can do anything, just like my grandma told me.