Andrew - Kent, Washington

Passion is a result of self-confidence. This I believe. When I was young in private school, I was most passionate about PE sports. One day we were playing kickball, which is an adaptation to baseball, out on the field. My team was on defense and leading the game by a couple of runs. Then Trevor Peterson comes up and kicks the ball deep into the outfield. When it finally came in, our second baseman, Joey threw the ball from behind second base. He tried to nail the first runner before they had scored, but it skipped by and both players scored. I began to chew Joey out until my teacher interrupted and said, “Andrew! It’s just a game.”

Unfortunately my parents couldn’t afford the private school any longer. I had to join a new high school and make new friends. Because we were late in enrolling, there weren’t many classes open. Joining a cabinet making class was my only option. I wasn’t mechanically inclined so all the complicated work packets and safety test went over my head. Fortunately a TA named Jeremie, who had already graduated, started coming to the class. He helped me to comprehend the packet and the mechanics of cabinet making. I have made several cabinets in my house and for my family. Now the class I was forced into built my confidence, and my overall attitude towards school.

The confidence boost I received from cabinet making translated into my other grades except for my English classes. I was always put into the slow learning English classes, and as a result, I never tried because in my head I had decided that I was incapable of writing well. However, I convinced myself to join a creative writing class my senior year. We started every day with a free write for ten minutes, and soon after my extremely poor writing habits began to dissipate. With confidence, I was putting all these crazy ideas into intelligent entertaining stories. Our final assignment was to write a movie script and film it with a group. “Battle For Earth,” was the title of our short machinima film (video game characters with edited voices and actions). The twenty-five minute movie took two-weeks to make, but the reaction of my classmates and teacher were well worth the passion and hard work put into the project. It wasn’t until my final class I received an overall “A” for an English subject. A big exhale in relief was my immediate reaction to the grade.

Although I am still the guy who takes a deep breathe to yelling at his teammates in innocent outdoor pickup sports. But like Joey most of my friends understand my passion to compete, and the others will just have to adapt. Like I adapted to cabinet making. Which lead to my courage to join a writing class. And I believe writing is not a barrier for me anymore. I believe in this passionately, and that sound like confidence to me.