Kristen - Morgantong, North Carolina
Themes: pleasure

If you were to ask me what my beliefs were, I could spit back a handful of incredibly cliché answers. I could tell you that I believe in exercising regularly, laughing, and wishing on stars. Sure, those are perfectly fine beliefs, but the problem is, I can’t feel them in my core. They don’t “rock my world” or “float my boat”, and I guess maybe when it comes down to it, it’s because I don’t have anything to gain from them. If I had to choose my number one belief, some might think it was silly or stupid, but the truth is, my sanity counts on it. Sleeping until the sun comes up is what I believe in, and I don’t expect to change it anytime soon.

My life, like the lives of most people, is insanely hectic. While the man is still on the moon, I am woken by the excruciating sound of an alarm clock. I then groggily get ready, and trudge through the rest of my day in the most robotic way imaginable. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to determine that this cycle can wear anyone down. Moving through life like a machine takes away a person’s humanity. This is why sometimes sleeping until the sun comes up is absolutely positively necessary.

Of course, the world is full of perfectionists that might look down on sleeping late. They might think of it as lazy or a waste of time, but you know what? That’s ok. At some point or another, everyone is going to need the little bit of magic that comes with a full morning’s sleep. They’re going to need sunlight as an alarm clock, the warmth of the sheets for a little while longer, or even the morning sounds as a simple friendly gesture. Waking up to the cold blue stars and the harsh silence of early morning is like standing in the snow wearing nothing but underwear. There is no warmth or comfort offered, just a sharp reminder that the day must start. Is that my idea of a great life? Hardly.

So, my belief doesn’t save the world. It doesn’t make a noble stand, and it certainly doesn’t make me look like a saint. But one thing it does do, it salvages my sanity. Sneaking a late sleep every now and then gives me a haven. It refreshes my mind, and lets me slow down time as much as I can. Yet, does it make me a happier person? The answer is simply yes.