Christina - Wilmington, Massachusetts
Themes: change

A CHANGE FOR THE BETTER

I believe in change. I believe changes, good or bad, teach me lessons that would otherwise never be learned. I’ve experienced changes, as well as everyone else in the world, and it’s changed me for the better.

As a little girl growing up south of Boston in Quincy, I thought that every town was just like my own. Anytime my parents would take me and my sister for a drive to my grandparent’s or uncle’s house, I’d be in the car looking through the backseat window. And all I saw were houses built so close that the driveways could barely fit the width of a car. I didn’t see trees. There were trees that lined the streets, but they had been planted in their spots for landscape purposes. When I think of trees, I think of wilderness and nature. So, I reasoned that every town had to be like mine. I didn’t know any better because the only other places I knew of as a little kid were China and Vietnam because it was where my parents and grandparents came from. I never thought anything different; I never thought that there was another world outside my town. At the time, it was all that I knew.

When I reached third grade, my parents decided to move the family to Wilmington so that they would have an easier commute to their jobs. Although I wasn’t thrilled with the idea, I obviously couldn’t do anything about it.

Upon arriving to Wilmington, I found it strange, yet I felt that I belonged here. There are no other words for it. It was Christmas break, and the town already had at least a foot of snow on the ground. I had never seen so much snow! Usually anything south of Boston only received around five or so inches; at least that’s what it seemed like for a little kid with dreams filled with snow days and the spirit of Christmas. In every direction I could see woods and bushes, and still after so many years, I can’t get over it. I love snow. And I’ve loved nature ever since I was a little kid watching the Animal Planet Channel on T.V. I would always have a place in my heart for my old town, but Wilmington was more of a dream come true for me.

Up until recently, I thought that Quincy, my old hometown, was a good place to live and grow up. I hadn’t realized then that I had known almost nothing about the world; that I had been living in a barricaded city that I had somehow fallen into.

For the first seven years of my life, I had been oblivious to the changes that had gone on around me. I had been oblivious to what was happening in the world. Granted that I was only a kid, but I regret that I never learned anything until I moved here to Wilmington. There was more freedom away from the city. With that freedom, I looked around me and saw more opportunities than what was given to me in Quincy. And I took those chances to heart and used them to shape me into the person that I am now. But I can’t change the past. I do have the power to do that. The only thing I can change is my future and in order to do that, the impending changes of my life will have to direct me.

It’s been almost seven years since my family and I moved from Quincy. Since then, I’ve learned and changed into a person I probably would have never been if I have never moved away from the city area. If I had stayed in Quincy, I may have never come to love the Boston Red Sox, the New England Patriots, and country music. It’s unthinkable! Even though Quincy was much closer to the city for me to be familiar with the teams, the town was too crowded for any physical activity like baseball or football for me to actually experience. Sometimes I think that my change not only changed my idea of the world, but also of who I would become.