Tessa - 63043, Missouri

I believe that people are not what they seem to be. They bring out what they really are after they gave you their first impression. I remember when I first meet this nice, pretty young girl when I was in 5th grade and she wanted to be friends with me. I thought that a person who was that friendly had to be someone that I would get along with and have as a friend. It did not end up that way. She would pretend to be my friend and then talk about me behind my back. A girl who “seemed” to be nice and sweet was really mean and cruel.

After that year of school I knew that the saying “A first impression is a lasting one” couldn’t have been true. How could someone at first seem to be so perfect and in the next minute seem so mean spirited? I have had a lot of my friends come up to me and say how great their boyfriends are and then in a couple of weeks come back to me and explain how big of jerks they really were. I have seen too many of my friends get hurt by people who “seemed” great but in the end were people they never should have trusted. They were people that were nice and helped them when they were down just so they could kick them back down when they got up.

To prevent getting hurt by such people I believe that you should not only base people on their looks and appearance, but to get to know them and not rush into things that will soon end. Take your time and let them show you the real them. Let them show you that they are real and not someone that you will regret being around.

I also believe that some people can be misleading. They can seem so wrong, but then you realize that they are a perfect friend for you. This is the case when I met my best friend today. At

Myers 2

first I thought she was weird and I noticed she didn’t have a lot of friends, but I didn’t let that stop me from asking her name. As we started talking I realized that we really clicked. We had a lot of things in common and she fit as my other half. She was very outgoing and loved to speak her mind, as for me, on the other hand, I was quiet and liked to do things by myself. She has taught me how to come out of my shell and be social and not to go through life unnoticed.

Being friends with many people that showed me what people should be like and shouldn’t be like has helped me to realize that people can be misleading. I believe that people are not always what they seem and that the real person will soon come through.