Kelly - San Diego, California

I believe responsibility changes you. My freshman year I lived in the dorms with 7 other girls. You don’t get to pick and choose who you would like to live with for a year, it’s purely random. I would have to say that the group of girls I lived with definitely changed me as a person. The one however, that made the biggest impact was Carlie.

Carlie had seizures. Lots and lots of seizures. The day I moved in, her parents were there and said that if you ever were around her when she had one, press on her pressure points either on her hand and if it was a really big one the back of her head. They showed me the areas, almost like “press here and she will stop” and then they left. I didn’t think it was that big of deal.

Boy was I wrong. Day 2 in the dorms, BAM! Big seizure.

She walked over to my room shaking just her leg, almost like she was dancing or something. I looked at her and said what are you doing? She said she was fine and she was going to go lay down, and to just keep an eye on her. I said okay, and she walked back to her room shaking and dancing. About 10 minutes later I hear pounding, like someone was hanging up a picture with a hammer and nail. I walk into her room. It was her head banging on the floor. I was alone. No one else could help me.

Like it was second nature or something, I started pressing her pressure point on her hand. Nothing. Panic. I only say white in her eyes. Why me? Why do I have to be responsible for this right now? I tried the back of her head, and pushed really really hard. She stopped. It was only a couple of minutes until she started back up again, but then I had a sense of peace, like okay I can do this. After about 3 more episodes she finally stopped. I quickly learned that she had a sense of humor when she said, “Guess I don’t need to go to the gym today” with a smile and then feel asleep.

Carlie changed me. I had a new perspective on life. Sometimes it’s the little things that matter. My mom called me later that day and asked how my first day of school was. I said I wouldn’t know I didn’t go. She started to yell and lecture me, about responsibility. I let her go on for a couple of minutes or so, and then I told her what happened and how I will never be the same.

I believe people change when they are responsible for someone other than themselves. No I did not ask for this, and I certainly did not expect it. I believe she helped me grow up and be the responsible person my parents always wanted.