Michael - Woodbury, Minnesota

The Things I’ve Learned

A collection of real life knowledge, gathered “the fun way” by Michael Betz

•I don’t have regrets. It’s ok though to have things you wouldn’t do again or would do differently given a redo. Trust that you made the best decision you could at the time with the information you had.

•Nobody else is paying as much attention to your issues, failures, and problems as you are. You’re the only one who is obsessed with the importance of your own life. To everyone else, it’s just a blip on the radar screen, so just move on.

•Your circle of friends is like a dart board. And like the bull’s-eye, you have a very limited space for your close friends. But you get to choose who these people are. Pick people that you want to be around and want to be around you. People that you respect and respect you.

•Don’t chase things. The very fact that you have to chase something means it is moving away from you. Rather do something to attract what it is that you’re chasing, if indeed it’s something you want.

•Judge yourself not by your accomplishments, but by the happiness of people around you. If you can do that, you’ll never have to worry about getting ‘there.’ You’ll always find a ‘there’ there because you’ll have brought it with you.

•Just because I don’t share blood with someone doesn’t mean they’re not my family. Just because I do doesn’t always make them family either.

•Things always work out. One way or another they always do. They have to.

•‘Normal’ is an intentionally vague and ambiguous word.

•There is no “best” – the best choice, the best performance, the best anything. Best does not exist. Best only is relavent in hind-sight. There are only smart choices (see #1) Since there is no ‘best, I can not be the best at anything. And that’s ok because it doesn’t matter. What does is the combination of things that I’m good at, am able to do, and what I do not have to give up or compromise.

•I never say goodbye – just see ya later. Personal policy.

•I try not to burn bridges. Things find a way to come back to bite you in the ass.

•Money doesn’t necessarily make me happy, but sure makes it easier to do things that do — even if it’s just knowing that I COULD do something. In other words, money doesn’t buy happiness, but can rent it.

•Sometimes being lucky is just realizing a good situation when it comes along and taking advantage of the opportunity.

•Life is full of decisions…choices — it’s part of the human condition. But let’s not forget that the most important part in decision making is actually MAKING the decision.

•Seems like there’s always a struggle between having enough time and money, so I try to make things work when the two get close.

•I much prefer a straightforward, say-it-as-it-is, let’s have-fun-and-skip-the-drama personality. With that said, I understand girls are not guys; they like shoes, cuddly things, flowers, and sometimes just to be listened to. Guys like gadgets, dogs, mud, and I suppose I’m not much different. But at 27 I see it’s those differences I appreciate and really couldn’t at 21.

•The best driving advice I never got: drive like you don’t have mirrors.

•Dogs are indeed man’s best friend, but letting them go is part of the deal.

•Fortunately and unfortunately, nothing lasts forever and that’s ok.