Nikki - wilmington, Massachusetts
Themes: change, love

I believe, whether for good or bad, everything changes. A word, a glance, a possibility, a mistake, or the people who find a way into your life can change it forever. As we get older we go through heartaches, happiness, tears, and smiles. I know I have certainly gone through it all.

They say young love is the sweetest kind of love, and that is true. I fell in love at such a young age; I was only in seventh grade. Time flew by, and we were still head over heels for each other. We both thought it would last forever. Weeks, months, and then years passed and we loved the life we had made together. Sadly, after two and a half years of being in love and not being able to stay apart for more than a day, everything changed over the course of just a couple weeks.

We went to different schools, which caused a lot of problems. We always fought about it and I knew we were slowly falling apart. Everything was changing. Then, one day, in the blink of an eye, he told me we both had to go our separate ways and see what else was out there. We ended it.

I don’t think I was ever the same after that. The memories, the tears, I couldn’t even pull myself together. I never thought I would actually be able to. Freshman year ended and summer started, my first summer in two years without him. I was always trying to have fun and adjust to this new life without him but it wasn’t even close to being easy.

One summer night I invited some friends over for a bonfire. One of my friends brought the guy who used to sit behind me in English class. I used to laugh at him for being clueless, and he laughed at me for actually knowing the day a project was due. Oh yeah – and did I mention, when we were younger we used to live in the same neighborhood and we actually hung out a couple times with our friends during middle school? It was a very funny connection we had, but we both never thought anything of it. Until this one night changed everything. It wasn’t until this night that I felt like there was more to him than just a familiar face, and more than just “hey, you were in my English class last year.” Knowing he felt the same way, I decided to take a chance and start something new. What we started turned into something that was least expected but completely beautiful at the same time.

We’ve been together for almost five months now and I couldn’t be happier. That one night changed my whole outlook on life and definitely helped me let go of the one who broke my heart. Changes happen for a reason, and all my heartache led me straight to someone purely amazing, someone who makes me 100 times happier than I have ever been. I never thought I would be able to lift my head up high and actually say that I’m happy things changed because I ended up right where I belong. You never know what life has planned for you and what’s going to happen after the heartache’s over.

Whether changes are sad, happy, heart-warming, painful, or surprising, they will always come faster than we can even breathe. Life can be so unexpected and although regardless of anything, I don’t just believe, I know in my heart that no matter what – everything changes.