Katie - Santa Rosa, California
Themes: nature

Since I was a little kid, my favorite thing to do has been to look at the stars and think about life. I loved and still love the feeling of irrelevance that looking at the greatness of the universe in which I live gives me. When ever in my life I needed to think by myself or clear my head the best place to go has been my backyard at nighttime. I believe in the nighttime, in the quietness, in life questions and most of all in the stars. It seems like the stars are the only things there against the black nothingness of the sky that I will never understand. It makes me feel so small and so great at the same time to be a living part of this extravagant place.

The best place to star gaze is at my family’s house in Sea Ranch. The fact that there are no street lights to block the view of the night sky makes it a perfect star gazing location. Sea ranch is by itself a beautiful relaxing place where nature is at it’s best, the clean crisp ocean air, tall wild grass and flowers, and most of all the secluded unpopulated beaches. I always look forward to the nighttime there where it is as quiet as it could be, night hikes and beach walks under the stars are two of my favorite activities while there as well as looking through a telescope to get a closer look. The beach has a captivating feeling to it, your senses get caught up in the moment when everything from the crashing waves, to the sand between your toes and the slight chill of wind giving you goose bumps, and the night sky and my mind full of wonder of how things can be so perfect and so confusing at the same time.

When I was younger, I would always stare at the same three stars, to this day I still know which ones they are. When I was little I used to sit and think about how someday I wanted to go to these stars. Now that I’m older I can sit and think about how far these stars are away from me and how I will never reach them yet am still fascinated by them it is still very comforting to know that they’ve always been there for me to think under from when my first dog died to my first break up, the stars always just stand out more to me then the other ones, and they hold a lot of memories.

One of my favorite conversations I had with my sister was under the stars in Hawaii late at night on the beach. Though we were far from my back yard the three stars were still sitting there blinking. We talked about how strange yet entertaining our family is. We talked about life and the people that were important to us. About how the world is so big to us because we don’t know a lot of the world, but it is so small in span of everything else, that why should it matter. I believe that stars bring a sense of wonder out in people. They make people want to question their significance. But most of all I believe that stars are proof of the fact that there is so much else out there, and it is important to remember that when you get too caught up in what you think things should be like.