Brian - Creve Coeur, Missouri

This I Believe Essay

Today, thousands of Americans are homeless. Those that are homeless are forced through an environment that can be unnecessarily negative especially since they have little money or no money, they have no form of shelter or live in a homeless shelter, and they can barely afford food. These people shouldn’t experience this, they should have help. This raises an important question in the minds of those who are homeless “who can help me?” Usually they don’t have any help at all. Non-homeless people would be happier overall if they did help the homeless because of the simple reason of helping those who are in need.

A normal reaction when approached by those who are homeless is usually a reaction that is hostile or one that pretends that the person, or people that approached those who are not homeless, does not exist. The reality of this situation is that potentially the person or people who are not homeless can become homeless in the future. This is especially evident in a 1992 Gallup survey that found results of sixty seven percent of adults surveyed in 1995 name job loss as a contributor to homelessness. More than half blame lack of affordable housing at fifty five percent and alcohol abuse at fifty two percent. If this information does not seem noteworthy, than that is shocking. An estimate made by the National law center on homelessness and Poverty found that 2.3-3.5 million people experience homelessness. This means that potentially anyone who is not homeless now could wind up that way.

One benefit to helping the homeless is that it would improve the lives of many homeless children. Unfortunately, these children who are homeless don’t have a choice in that decision. They don’t have a home, toys, or potentially no way of being educated or going to some type of schooling. If more people would help contribute and send any aid that they can to the homeless, then the families that are homeless wouldn’t have to suffer. The situation is grim for those who are homeless. According to a study by the National Alliance to End Homelessness, an estimated 744,313 people experienced homelessness in one night in January 2005. Fifty six percent of them were living in shelters and transitional housing, forty four percent were unsheltered.

Helping the homeless is the right thing to do. Sooner or later everyone needs help. If anyone deserves help it’s those who are homeless.