Andrew’s Miracle

Sharon - Norfolk, Virginia

I believe that miracles can happen and sometimes when you least expect it. For two decades, I have been Andrew’s school advocate, until he graduated from high school. My autistic son was ready for college. I wanted to believe he could make it on his own, as long as he had the necessary auxiliary aids and academic adjustments. I had never expected Andrew to drop out of college at the end of his freshman year. The poor boy had a severe rash, vomiting and uncontrollable body tremors caused by stress. Andrew was not able to advocate for his needs and became a nervous wreck. Well, this was a situation I could not remedy, simply by switching to the local community college that I believed would make a difference. The problem was with Andrew. He had given up his dream of obtaining a college degree. He had lost faith in himself.

However, I would never give up. I believed in the power of prayer. Finally, my prayers were answered. In December 2007, I came across an article about a certain green food known as the ‘most perfect food.’ Everyone thought I was nuts when I bought a container of this supplement and began taking it along with Andrew. More than a month went by before I noticed a change in myself. For several years, I had suffered with gingivitis. Well, not anymore. My red gums changed to a light pink. Out of curiosity, I asked Andrew if he had experienced any changes. His first words, “I feel more calmer,” nearly took my breath away!

Well, that was a positive sign. The next change I noticed was with Andrew. He stood tall when he walked. He no longer slumped his shoulders and walked with a gait. Andrew walked like everyone else. Later, I noticed how he communicated. He maintained eye contact and smiled as he engaged in conversations with family members and friends.

Before the 2007 fall semester, Andrew wanted to go back to the community college, since it was cheaper. He had to petition the college to take him back, which he did on his own. Currently, Andrew is making straight A’s as a full-time, regular student. That’s right! Andrew is a regular student and not a student needing special accommodations. Every day I see less and less traces of the old Andrew. The new Andrew never needs to be reminded about completing his class work, studying for tests or simply taking out the trash. I know with every breath I take, that Andrew’s miracle occurred through the power of prayer.